One of the first questions we ask new clients at any stage is "What have you done within branding?" and most of the clients say "Oh yeah, I have a logo done", but they don't realize that we are talking about very different things.
Branding is a combination of the entire visual experience for your business, from the logo to its colors, typography, imagery, messaging, tone of voice, personality and the list goes on. There is a whole universe within Branding but the sole purpose of it is to represent you and your products as as the perfect solution for your ideal customer compared to competition. This is specially true if you are transitioning from selling from a marketplace to creating a strong direct to consumer brand.
We are also looking to create consistency across all materials of your brand, so when a potential customer comes in contact with any you in different medias or platforms, they can easily recognize who you are. Not only visually but the messaging as well, you need to have a way that people recognize you from. Also when they are in a purchase experience, being consistent shows professionalism and builds trust so the customer feels comfortable to purchase from you.
I know this can sound complex, and there are many layers of details we can enter but if you are just starting and don't have anything, you need to be able to answer the following questions:
- Do you have a defined visual guideline for your brand? (usual stuff: logo, colors, typography and secondary elements)
- Your identity communicates your brand personality?
- Better yet, what is your brand's personality? How you want people to perceive you?
- What is your communication style? How would you like to communicate with your ideal perfect customer?
- Are you being consistent across all brand materials?
Based on all questions above tell me this, how consistent is your branding? If the answer is any different than "100%", you should definitely take a look at that. ;)